What is an SSL Certificate
An SSL certificate lets users access your website using https:// instead of http:// (notice the extra s).
This encrypts all data that gets sent through your website making it more secure for your visitors. It will also help with your search engine rankings because Google will apply more credibility to websites protected by an SSL certificate.
How Can I Get an SSL Certificate?
SSL Certifcates are something your web hosting provider will provide for you, it is not something that is enabled through the actual EverWeb web building software.
If you have an EverWeb Standalone account you should ask your web hosting provider for the SSL certificate. They usually carry an extra yearly fee.
If you are an EverWeb + Hosting customer in the 10GB plan or higher, the SSL certificate is free for you.
For EverWeb + Hosting 2GB customers the cost is $29.95 USD/year. One SSL certificate will cover all the domains on your account and you can add it from your client area.
How do I set up an SSL Certificate on my EverWeb + Hosting 2GB Plan?
If you already have an EverWeb + Hosting 2GB account, follow these steps from your client area.
- Login to your account and click Services menu and then 'View Available Addons'
- You will see the 'EverWeb Site Shield ©' option
- Press the 'Order Now' button and follow the steps to purchase the addon
- Once you purchase your SSL certificate download EverWeb 2.3 (or later)
- Go to File->Site Publishing Settings and select the 'Use HTTPS Secure Servers'
- If you have any trouble, we have a video tutorial that explains how to set up HTTPS websites with EverWeb
For users on the larger EverWeb + Hosting package, your account has an SSL certificate already and you can follow the steps above starting from step 4 to enable a secure, HTTPS website.